On August 20, 2011 -- Glen Steen was in an unfortunate cycling accident which required immediate spinal cord surgery and has left him in a quadriplegic state. Glen is a warrior and because of his determined nature and dedication to therapy, he is making gains each day. Follow Glen on his journey here in his Blog, written in his own words.


Thursday 22 January 2015

Resilience is spelled Glen Steen.

Resilience is spelled Glen Steen.
A Blog from his Daughters

What is Resilience? If you spent a day with my Dad you’d see first hand that definition in action.

Over 3 years ago Dad had his accident. . .cycling along, doing what he does and then things changed.

Change is inevitable in life, learning to accept those changes can mean the difference between living happy or not really living at all. My Dad has always been my teacher, never more so in these past years; he has taught me what it means to be resilient, to move forward to always strive for the best – to NEVER give up.

Dad went hard, fast and strong into his physio like only the marathon man he is could do. He went up against the odds and came out on top --Doctor’s told us as he moved through his physio that he was WAY ahead of where anyone else with similar injuries would be; with his dedication and endless endurance he tackled  his physio like his marathon rides and made SO many gains.

They say in many sports there is a “wall” . . and you must hit the wall, and keep going to succeed. But, what if you hit the wall, and the wall stopped you at every avenue you tried to move forward? My Dad has hit that wall, and that wall is called Muscle Tone.

Muscle Tone is a real JERK. Imagine your hanging out doing your thing and all your muscles decide to tense up – for NO reason. You’re clenched, feel tight, you’re in pain, lots of it and it seems everything and nothing all at the same time seems to be the culprit.

Life can be mean sometimes, Muscle Tone is not fair, NONE of this is fair. There have been many times in the past few years that I have kicked, screamed and cried to the ends of the earth. . . Not pretty emotions, but I’m of mind to think that every emotion is valid – the trick (and my Dad taught me this one) is not to get stuck in those vulnerable and less then happy moments, feel it, accept it. . .and move forward – that’s resilience right there.

There are good days, and bad days. If a good day is 3 minutes on the bike and NO Muscle Tone, that needs to be celebrated BIG time - in this new realm of Quadriplegia that’s an old skool Steener marathon of 600k in comparison! Go Dad!! You make me proud EVERY single Day.

If a bad day is a week of unrelenting muscle tone – I can STILL hear his smile though the phone. “It is what it is,” he says and in my mind that is wisdom without measure.

My heart says he deserves SO much more, he does. But, he is moving forward, with his grit, determination and resilience in full check. Muscle Tone, you jerk – we will get to the bottom of you! ((Literally if haemorrhoids are a factor :P ))

It looks as though I have inherited my Dad’s feet. . . Dad, you certainly have left me with BIG shoes to fill, if I inherited the resilience you have in your little toe a lone. . .well, that’s something we can ALL aspire too.

Love you Dad.
xo
Kelly & Meghan








No comments:

Post a Comment